The sound of Christmas to me is various Christmas songs and there are lots and lots to choose from.
Not the none stop assault on my ears of “all I want for Christmas is you”.
Every supermarket, every advert, literally everywhere you go this time of year it’s being played.
Yes I understand that it’s a Christmas classic and it seems to be most peoples favourite Christmas track.
However does it really have to be that song all of the time?
In my opinion there are much better Christmas songs but for whatever reason it’s always Mariah Carey!
It does have a lot of commercial appeal so maybe that is the reason it’s so widely used but it’s over used.
There are other Christmas songs that are the sound of Christmas for me but not all of them seem jolly.
For instance you have Greg Lake – I Believe In Father Christmas, this is one of my all time faves!
However I certainly don’t find this song uplifting and jolly but it does have the essence of Christmas attached.
Obviously one of the most popular Christmas songs is Wham – Last Christmas, this too is great but over used.
I’m not being picky when it comes to my sound of Christmas but I just think there is more choice.
We just seem to get certain songs rammed in our earholes!
I’d love it to change, variety is the spice of life so they say! Some Christmas playlist without Mariah maybe.
As I said before Christmas is meant to be a jolly time but not all songs are, a lot of them I find sad.
My Top 5 – The Sound Of Christmas
Here is my top five Christmas songs, not all of them are happy uplifting festive beauties but I like them!
- The Pogues – Fairytale Of New York, I personally have not heard of a better Christmas Song!
- Greg Lake – I Believe In Father Christmas, again not a happy jolly number but feels like Christmas.
- Johnny Mathis – When A Child Is born, yes slow and moody but relaxing and Christmassy!
- Wizzard – I Wish It Could Be Christmas Everyday, I know this is also really over used however it sums up what a proper Christmas song should sound like.
- Wham – Last Christmas, as I said earlier a massively over used song but epitomises the Christmas Feel.
I agree my choice of Christmas songs won’t be to everyones taste however they are my sounds of Christmas.
Why not try this Amazon Music Unlimited special holiday offer, 4 Months for 99p! Create your own Christmas playlist!
Offer is only for new subscribers, click HERE for more info.
Check out our Music The Soundtrack To Life post.
Hopefully you will get a nice warm fuzzy Christmas feeling from listening to those songs.